Now you can Triple your Chances of Stopping Smoking
April 26, 2016
Results from the Cochrane Review show that stop smoking programmes, such as GoSmokeFree, can more than triple your success rate [see bar graph] when compared to trying to quit smoking “cold turkey”.
Best Way to Stop Smoking
What is a Cochrane Review?
Cochrane Reviews are systematic reviews of primary research in human health care and are internationally recognised as the highest standard in evidence-based health care.
The Cochrane Review on the effectiveness of smoking cessation medicines and support options on quit smoking rates found that the most effective stop smoking intervention includes behavioural support and pharmacotherapy ie stop smoking products. This combination more than triples an individual’s chances of a successful stop smoking attempt.
NB: NRT means Nicotine Replacement Therapy. Mono NRT means one type of NRT, eg oral spray, patches or gum. Combination NRT means a combination of the available NRT treatments eg gum with patches.
Four week quit rates from the Cochrane Review are as follows.
|4-week quit rates with:||No medication||Mono NRT||Combination NRT||Bupropion||Varenicline|
|Individual behavioural support||22%||37%||50%||39%||52%|
(NRT = Nicotine Replacement Therapy)
More Resource Articles
- 10 Tips to Quit Smoking for New Year
- 7 Ways to Fight Nicotine Withdrawal Symptoms this World No Tobacco Day
- A dozen reasons women who smoke should consider stopping smoking.
- Cancer: Spotlight on preventable premature deaths
- Five Fantastic Reasons to Stop Smoking
- It’s Time to Invest in Your Health
- Quit Smoking for New Year
- Quitting Smoking after a Heart Attack lowers Angina Risk and ups Well-being
- Smokers delay quitting smoking due to weight gain fears
- Smoking and mental illness – could they be a toxic combination?
- Smoking costs $1.44 trillion in health care and labour losses: study
- Smoking Debate Heats Up
- Smoking: A major cause of bladder cancer
- Stop smoking this Stoptober
- The benefits of quitting smoking on those around you.
- The Debate over “vape vs smoking” Heats Up
- The health benefits of quitting smoking.
- The true costs of smoking
- Under-50 smokers face 8-fold higher heart attack risk: study
- What is Stoptober?
- Why is it so Hard to Stop Smoking?
- World Diabetes Day and Smoking Cessation – is there a connection?
- World No Tobacco Day – 31 May 2018
- WORLD NO TOBACCO DAY 2019 – DON’T LET TOBACCO TAKE YOUR BREATH AWAY
- World No Tobacco Day and Tips to Quit Smoking